Contact: For questions, use our contact form or call 205-680-1223. You may also come to City Hall at 2441 Old Springville Road, Birmingham, AL 35215. City Hall is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The mailing address is P.O. Box 345, Clay, AL 35048.

Services: This department includes city records, human resources, accounting, permits, inspections, work service requests, business licenses, waste removal services and code or ordinance enforcement.

Requests FAQ:

  • How do I make a request for city work or for attention to a concern? Use our contact form or call 205-680-1223.
  • Who should I call about loose dogs, junk cars, unsafe structures, loud noise in my neighborhood, someone smoking in the wrong place, building code violations or uncut yards? If the problem is an urgent safety concern, such as a threatening dog, call the Sheriff’s office. All of these other matters are covered in our ordinances and handled by different departments. Use our complaint form or call 205-680-1223. We will make sure the appropriate person receives your request.
  • How can I get a copy of city records? Come by City Hall or use our contact form. You will be asked to fill out a records request form, and a fee may be charged to fill large or time-intensive requests.

Other FAQ:

  • Who do I call if I have a question about residential or commercial garbage pick-up services? Contact Santek at
  • When are City Council meetings? In most months, it is the second and fourth Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. on the second floor at City Hall. Unusual events and holidays may change that schedule. See our city calendar.
  • When are business licenses due? If you open a new business in the city or start selling products or offering services in the city, you must obtain a city business license before your first transaction. Business license renewals are sent out in December and the deadline is January 31.
  • Which code does the city enforce for inspections? For electricians, we use the NEC/ NFPA70 National Electrical Code – 2008 edition. For all other construction work, we use the International Residential Code – 2009 edition.